Millefleurs from scratch
I originally wanted Millefleur Wyandottes, like Millefleur Barbu d’Uccle but without feather legs; it’s far too muddy here in the Wealden clay of Horsham, West Sussex to keep poultry with feathered legs. I couldn’t find I started a project to breed Millefleur Wyandottes. I wanted to make them their own thing, not a yellow legged, rose comb version of a Speckled Sussex but brighter chestnut Millefleur, more like the Belgian bantams with strongly contrasting big black and white dots, shimmering beetle-green hackles highlighted with gold. I made mistakes with this breeding too from lack of knowledge about genetic linkage but some happy mistakes were made which made me realise that I and other people like chickens in a mixture of colours rather than the clones bred for show. I get lots of different colours still but the right is more frequent in the last year or so.What a long project this has been! I obviously started it the wrong way by starting with, amongst other things, a buff Wyandotte and laced in the breeding program both of which introduced the Columbian gene and it has been an absolute “b” to breed out. I want my millefleurs Db based for a richer colour but without the darkness of mahogany. I don’t want my Wyandotte millies looking like rose combed versions of speckled Sussex.
The good thing about the line is they have plenty of hybrid vigour.
Here are a few others which didn’t make it into the breeding pen. I do like this bright coloured ones but ultimately they aren’t going to breed what i want.